Friday, November 11, 2005

Goodnight and Go

When I was 19 I discovered photography. I had no previous experience in the subject but I acquired a job at a local photo shop. I quickly learned that photography isn't so complicated after all. That christmas I asked for a manual camera so that I could really learn, and my parents scraped the bottom of the barrel to get me one. it was one of the best presents I ever got. the next few months were photo heaven for me. working in a photo shop I had an endless supply of information at my fingertips and I could always spend time thinking about what I would like to take a picture of next.

Interestingly enough, I found that throughout those first few months of learning, my favorite subject to capture was clouds. I was constantly looking up - and I saw sights that simply took my breath away. each night I could ride home on my bike and enjoy the sunset. each day I got to drive around running errands for the company and enjoy whatever was in the sky that day. I just loved the clouds . . . but after not too long I realized that try as I may, I could never capture them in the way that I saw them. That's when I realized what makes nature so stunning. it can only be truly appreciated with the human eye. just as you can not get to know someone by simply seeing their picture, you can not get to know nature without being in it with your own eyes, feet, hands and nose. The smell of a rose will never be duplicated. The majesty of the ocean will never be captured. The intimacy of the mountains can never be matched.

I long to travel up the canyon and enjoy the gentle whisper of the quaking aspens, but I fear that their leaves have most likely already fallen for the season. perhaps I will take a weekend drive just to make sure.

I've been taking pictures for almost 5 years now, and although I don't do it as much as I used to, I still get a sense of wonder when I pick up my camera and start to compose. After crossing upon an incredible photoblog yesterday, I'm feeling particularly inspired to pull it out this weekend and experiment to my hearts desire. Maybe, just maybe, if I get anything good, I'll share. We shall see.

The listening this week has been more deathcab, with a renewed love for imogen heap this morning - hence the title for this entry.

1 Comments:

At 12/21/2005 06:17:00 PM, Blogger Geo said...

What a nice post, and so true. Now, how about another post? ; )

LYL

 

Post a Comment

<< Home