Monday, May 01, 2006

Why Can't i sleep?

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Sufjan is like a volcano waiting to erupt for me right now. His music stirs my soul, and I feel the rivers moving, but then I forget. Someday he will truly have the impact that he was meant to have on me.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Why can't I sleep?

Is it the generic brand excedrin that i took at 8?

Is it that strange sound of running water that I hear from my neighbors back patio?

Is it the anticipation of new classes tomorrow?

Is it knowing that I'm going to wake up early and kick off my new month goal?

Is it the sudden thoughts of exploring new educational horizons that struck me as I read my scriptures tonight?

Is it the soreness that i'm feeling in my throat and my left eye?
(no. that is there because i can't sleep)

Is it the warmth of my bed after a warmer than lately day?


I wonder. I slip out under the covers and close my window (eliminating the sound of running water and train cars bumping into eachother)(although I will miss the sound of birds waking me up in the morning as they have the past few days) and i walk downstairs to ever so slightly adjust the thermostat. as I walk, my eyes are strangley attuned to the light and i notice strange shadows that only reveal themselves to the most finely attuned eyes (almost as though i have night vision goggles on). I notice 3 unique fire detectors situated within 3 steps from my bedroom door. each with its tiny green light shining down. as i walk under them, I actually cast a shadow on the floor. I notice a sliver of light coming from jenny's door. Is she still up? I turn on the hall light and am blinded for a moment. downstairs. drink. thermostat. upstairs. light off. the green lights no longer phase me. the sliver of light under Jenny's door is gone. and now here I sit. less than 5 hours of sleep ahead, and yet I look forward to the moment i will roll out of bed. again.

1 Comments:

At 5/06/2006 08:47:00 AM, Blogger Geo said...

Your last paragraph just answered your question; you couldn't sleep so you could see some wonderful night visions. Glad you shared. Insomnia can have it's little beauties, eh?

(Could have been the Excedrin too.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home