Saturday, September 22, 2007

Feist

a little over a month ago Micah brought me a stack of precious CD's - all new artists that he had found over the course of a few weeks. He was so excited to share them with me - each CD had meant so much to his tired heart. I enjoyed every minute of our music exchange and I have since been loving all of the music that he shared with me. I will have to dedicate another post to sharing a few more songs, but there is one artist that has been constantly playing over the past month.

Feist has worked her musical magic on my listening ears and now I'm hooked. You may have seen her on the newest TV ad for the iPod Nano singing "1 2 3 4". That song and "The Park" have been my two favorite songs off of her latest album.

"The Park" was the first Feist song that Micah played for me - knowing of course that I would be hooked. As many times as I've listened to this beautiful song, I didn't bother looking up the lyrics and truly understanding it until yesterday. Here, have a look and a listen:

Why should he come back through the park?
You thought that you saw him but no you did not
It's not him who'd come across
The sea to surprise you
Not him who would know
Where in London to find you

With sadness so real that it populates
The city and leaves you homeless again
Steam from the cup and snow on the path
The seasons have changed from present to past

The past
The past
Turns whole to half
The past

Why should he come back through the park?
You thought that you saw him but no you did not
Who can be sure of anything through
The distance that keeps you
From knowing the truth

Why would you think your boy could become
The man who could make you sure he was the one?

The one
My one
My one


The lyrics caught me by surprise. I know what she's talking about. That irrational feeling when someone is on your mind - you swear that you see them in places they wouldn't normally be. You could be separated by an ocean and you still have this idea in your mind that they're going to pop in one day and surprise you. You trick yourself into thinking that they're just as busy thinking about you as you are about them. And although we wish and hope and pray that this particular someone will come around, that they'll turn into that person who will fill your sorrowing heart . . . well, it doesn't happen.

The lyrics took me a while back - and it was comforting to know that she has experienced a similar feeling. The song is terribly sad - but oh so beautiful. And, as I mentioned before, another favorite is "1 2 3 4". Just so that I can leave things on a happy note (because I have been extraordinarily happy these last few days) I will include the video to this one. It's great. Enjoy :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home