Saturday, November 10, 2007

we need to speak up

Jenny just got back from the store and told me about a new Barbie doll released in June of this year. Barbie Top Model. It's common knowledge that Barbie's proportions are already out of control, right? Well, Barbie Top Model is even worse. Her legs are longer, waist is smaller, skirt is shorter.

It's sad to see this on our shelves. The unreal expectations that the media forces upon women in our society causes so many problems, and we know that girls are becoming self conscious at a younger age. I wish we could put a stop to it all. I guess the only way we can do anything is to limit our children's exposure to these types of toys. What do you think?

1 Comments:

At 11/11/2007 04:00:00 PM, Blogger Geo said...

Gack!

We need to displace the catwalk mentality with real standards:

Modesty Barbie
Hands Off Barbie
Search, Ponder, and Pray Barbie
I Love to See the Temple Barbie
I Know Who I Am Barbie
Kindness Begins with Me Barbie

I think non-participation in the status quo is important. We can make our own fun. Also, I think it's important to give honest feedback and suggestions to companies that produce such stuff as your poor, emaciated, overly-painted and posed Barbie girls.

I am sickened by so much of what I see in toy stores anymore. Blargh.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home